Monday, November 14, 2005

Monday, November 14, 2005

related matters
Poetry being as wide as it is, matters that relate to it would seem to be similarly wide. Winter's coming on. Clouds are crossing at a good clip, going east. It's morning. Here in the Adirondacks, we have to have everything nailed down this time of year or else find it rotted and twisted under the snow when spring arrives. To that effect, I built a woodshed this summer. No more blue tarp shredded by the wind. No more soggy logs. Building a woodshed turned out to be something like a practice, one I've been aimed at most of my life. Not unlike the practice of writing poems, one could say. Certainly as satisfying. Stabilizing. I look at it from time to time.
posted by roger mitchell @ 7:55 AM 0 comments
Friday, November 11, 2005

crusherrun
Bear with me, world. I'm still figuring out the ways and means of getting about in this vast system, though I have already decided that the name of the blog needs to be changed, and one of the things I have to learn is how to change a blog's name. Yes, I live near the Ausable River, but I'm not, I think, here to sing its beauties or mine its ores. "Crusherrun" appeals to me more because it's what I put on my road to keep it from sinking into the mud. My first thoughts are to see if I can organize thoughts around the issue of voice in literature, particularly poetry. Then, it's on to a reading of Gertrude Stein.
posted by roger mitchell @ 4:30 PM 0 comments
Thursday, November 10, 2005

world-altering phrases for all time
I did this on a whim, after reading a friend's interview on a blogsite. Do I want to do email, you might say, one-way email every day in the manner of Ron Silliman? I guess we'll have to see. There seems to be no rule which says you have to post every day, and there certainly seems to be no limit to subject, length, degree of gravity, etc. So, this is the tentative gesture of someone who writes poetry and who learned to do it before the ditto machine was invented and is still a little afraid of his computer. More to come, as they used to say when they interrupted the Johnny Carson Show for commercials. The world-altering phrases will come later.
posted by roger mitchell @ 7:23 PM 1 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home